Monday, March 16, 2009

The College Scene


Oskaloosa, Iowa - Fall 2008
Corey is currently attending college at William Penn University in Oskaloosa. It is a small town not far from Des Moines.
This is a picture of the first snow of the season. Needless to say, it gets very cold there. Corey really enjoys it there.
His school consists of about 800 students. Corey is studying engineering. He would like to be a Mechanical Engineer.
Alot of people ask "why Iowa"? Corey's really good friend Christine went to WPU to check out the soft- ball program and decided to sign on. She came back and told Corey about it and asked him to consider going there as well. Ben, myself and Corey took a trip there last February to meet with a few teachers. The week we went it had snowed like 5'. It was crazy, definately not what we were used to. We met with Levi (a counselor), the Dean of Students, the music teacher and the head of the engineering dept. We were pretty impressed with what we saw. Corey came to a decision right away.
While we were there, I had an unfortunate incident. Following a lunch with the music professor, I took a fall down a flight of stairs. To prevent myself from falling real bad, I had reached back and grabbed the stair rail with my left hand. I didn't know it at the time, but I injured my left shouler pretty bad. Needless to say, it was quite a memorable trip.
Corey is getting to enjoy playing the drums. Those of you know Corey loves playing the drums, so besides learning to be an engineer he gets to take part in his favorite hobby. Both semesters, he has taken seventeen credits. The first semester, his GPA was 3.97. He got an A- which prevented him from getting a 4.0. This semester so far, he has all A's except in his Calculus 3 class, there is has a B. We are very pleased with how he is doing.
Corey came home for Spring Break two weeks ago. He stayed for 8 days. He stayed pretty busy meeting up with old friends. I told him my new saying for him when he comes home is "he keeps the pavement warm". School ends the first week of May. Then he plans on starting a new job out at the test site in the engineering department.

No comments:

Post a Comment